Littering is bad for our environment

Litter is bad for our environment and that’s a fact. Have you heard of the Great Pacific Garbage Patch? Well, if you haven’t you’re going to find out that the Great Pacific Garbage Patch is a gigantic island of plastic floating in the Pacific Ocean and it’s caused by people littering and throwing plastic away without thinking where it is going.  

We saw lots of photos of sea animals that were captured in nets and plastics. If they weren’t already dead they were in pain because they can’t swim or eat properly. I saw a turtle with a weird shaped shell because it got stuck in a plastic ring.

There was also a seabird that was dead and had its stomach cut open and inside was so much plastic. I saw blue plastic lids, small containers and even a plastic bag. We need to do something about this because it is so sad.

At the bottom of the ocean there is a gigantic pile of dumped car tyres. Someone was not thinking when they did that. I don’t know how we could get them out. That is really bad littering. 

We have learned this term to reduce, reuse, recycle and refuse to use ‘one use’ plastics. We collect lots of rubbish every afternoon around our school. We are trying our best to look after our environment.